Over the past few weeks, several schools' dormitories have brunt due to students unrest and strike. In Kenya, school fires and strikes are not new anymore, becoming a national shame. The most unfortunate aspect is that schools are set on fire every year, yet the exact causes are never identified.
The Kenyans in the past a few weeks on social media have criticized the implementation of the new 2-6-3-3 curriculum system popularly known as the Competency Based Curriculum CBC. The parents complained that the curriculum is very expensive as compared to the former 8-4-4 curriculum. Last week, the Law Society of Kenya President Nelson Havi filed a suit against the Government of Kenya, Ministry of Education and Kenya Institution of Curriculum Development against the further implementation of the curriculum.
Photo :Students during closing day The National Parents Association Chairman Nicholas Maiya has revealed out that it will reach the Education Ministry to request school heads to allow parents to pay term two school fees within two weeks from opening date. Nicholas Makiyo stated that 10 days given by tge Ministry was less for parents to complete the Second term fees.
As indicated by the National Parents Association executive, Nicholas Maiyo, guardians and gatekeepers are worried that the legal choice could upset the training framework. Further, he expressed that the affiliation would address ten million guardians whose students' future remain in a precarious situation should the CBC framework be suspended.
Nicholas Maiyo who is the National Parents Association chairman has said they seek to join a case opposing the Competency-Based Curriculum. On Monday he said they will be on the defense of the new curriculum remarking that they are in support of the system. Maiyo who spoke at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development during the meeting with education stakeholders on the CBC said, “Our concern is the judicial decision that could disrupt our children’s education.
Image Source:Andrew Kasuku[The Star] With the Form One Admissions coming to a close, principals have been called out for using form one admissions as avenues to mint money from helpless parents by inflating prices of school uniforms. According to an establishment by The Saturday Standard, parents are forced to pay upto shs.25,000 for uniforms even when the market price of the same uniforms is three times less.
Secondary school principals are selling Form One slots for as high as Sh250,000 per student to admit them to their institutions.For national schools in Nairobi, parents have revealed that the school heads are demanding as much as Sh250,000 to be given a slot while others asked for Sh100,000. National schools outside Nairobi are reported to be asking for between Sh50,000 and Sh70,000 to get a slot for their children while those in extra-county schools are paying as much as Sh50,000.
National Parents Association Chairperson Nicholas Maiyo revealed that most parents had made a request to have the Ministry of Education give a grace period of two weeks for them to get fees. He noted that most parents had lost their jobs and were financially struggling after the Covid-19 pandemic ravaged the economy.
As the clock ticks to reopening of schools, parents are now in the process of having their children transferred to the public schools. This is after a section of parents straining financially after losing their jobs due to covid 19 pandemic. Since the inception of Corona virus in the country, most people lost their jobs and have had difficulties in meeting their daily needs as they used to before. For that reason, affected families have opted to transfer their children to various public schools before January.
Concerns have been raised regarding school calendar following experts warning that the country is staring to another fourth surge in Covid-19 situation in the country in the month of July.This warning by the MOH has now caused anxiety in Education sector.The predicted rise in the Covid-19 situation was issued by Dr Patrick Amoth who is the current Acting Director in the Health Ministry.
Parents, private schools, teachers and head teachers' associations are seeking to be enjoined in a case on the Competency-Based-Curriculum (CBC). National Parents Association (NPA), in its application seeking to be enjoined in the case before High Court judge Anthony Mrima, argues that in the event the court iss ues orders without its participation, chil-dren's interests will be affected.
Days before schools reopen for second term, a section of parents are worried that they are struggling to raise fees as the clock ticks towards Tuesday, October 12. (National Parents Association Chairperson Nickolas Maiyo) National Parents Association Chairperson Nickolas Maiyo revealed that most parents have made a request to the Ministry of Education to give them atleast two weeks for them to gather fees for their children.
The competency based curriculum is bringing alot of debates across the country.We are having divided opinions on this issue.There are parents who are opposed to the CBC program while others are in support of it.On the government side, some are against it while others have endorsed it.Magoha has claimed that there will be no going back and the CBC train has already left the station.
Nicholas Maiyo who is the National Parents Association chairman has said they are ready to join the case against the Competency Based Curriculum. Maiyo on Monday said they will be defending the new curriculum. He said that they are in support of the new system. Maiyo was saying at the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development(KICD) during a consultation with the stakeholders of Education concerning the CBC program.
National parents association chairman Nicholas Maiyo has stated that the association will seek to join a case opposing the competency based curriculum that was introduced by the government through the ministry of education. He added that the association will defend the new curriculum and support the project.He said that the association is concerned about the judicial decision that could disrupt education adding that their main aim of joining in the case is to represent a large number of children in both public and private schools.
The Illegal Sh5000 To Sh35000 'Development Fee' Heads of secondary schools are on the spot for charging parents extra amount termed as development fees. Details revealed by The Standard shows that the parents are asked to pay between sh5000 to sh35,000 in order to secure vacancies for their children in those specified schools.
In a fortnight, learners will be reporting back to schools, almost a year after they were closed in March to stop spread of Covid-19. Schools in the country are inundated by applications from parents looking to transfer their children to more affordable schools. Parents are transferring their kids from private schools to public schools where education is believed to be free. This is happening to reduce the cost of education in private schools. Some principal say,they have to consider space in the dormitories
The National Parents Association met in Naivasha recently. In their meeting the parents said children are safer in schools than at home when details of increased cases of pregnancy emerged. Through Githinji, the vice person, it was indicated that Narok recorded 44% as Kilifi and Kakamega had 38% and 36% of pregnant school going girls. Low numbers were recorded in Lamu, Nyeri and Isiolo.National Parents Association chairperson (L) with other members in their Naivasha meeting According to Githinji, close relatives
A video of a boy from Consolata School hurling unprintable insults at a girl schoolmate for allegedly calling him gay has had many Kenyans speaking in the past few days.
Following the meeting held by different education stakeholders and education experts, they were discussing on the issue of creating separate schools for the unruly learners caught with indiscipline cases in the schools.