Sign in
Download Opera News App



Documents Needed To Start A Hotel In Kenya And Where You Can Get Them

Photo for illustration purposes only. Courtesy

Hotel is one of the most common business ventures in Kenya. Falling under hospitality business, it can be used to describe a wide range of food business. An hotel may be a food kiosk besides a construction site, a five star hotel or a luxury camp in a national park. Different types of hotels require different types of documents. It is important to check with your county government which category your hotel falls under. Here we are going to look at general documents required by every person who wants to open an hotel in Kenya.

First requirement if for you to have a business permit. With devolution, a business permit is offered by county governments. For example, if you want to set up your hotel at Kitengela, you will get business permit from Kajiado County Government. Business permit charges are regulated by respective county governments.

After getting a business permit you will now need NEMA license. The license is for environmental impact assessment. NEMA wants to make sure that the operations of your hotel do not negatively affect the environment. Not all hotels need NEMA license though. This is for hotels that involve construction and are of particular size.

Health certificate is mandatory for all hotels in Kenya. You will need health certificate for the facility and your employees. They are normally offered at public hospitals or county government offices at a fee of Sh 700.

Fire inspection compliance certificate is another mandatory requirement when opening an hotel in Kenya. The certificate can be gotten from county government where you want to set up your hotel.

If you want to market your hotel, you will need some kind of advertising. This is mainly done through signage where you put a post giving directions to your hotel. Just like any other sign in Kenya, you will have to pay county government for it.

These are some of the basic requirements before you can start an hotel. If you need to start a tourist hotel or if you are a foreigner, you will need additional documents as required by national government and county government. This includes among others: TRA license and Tourism Catering Levy.

Content created and supplied by: HotNews_Ke (via Opera News )

Kenya Kitengela


Load app to read more comments