Sign in
Download Opera News App

Sports

 

Racing car

 

F1

Coronavirus: Formula One season set to delay further.

In yet another turn of events, the Formula One chiefs have today announced the postponement of the Dutch, Spanish and Monaco Grand Prix for this season.

A joint statement from F1 and the FIA said: “In view of the continued global spread of Covid-19 and after ongoing discussions with Formula One and the three promoters, it has today been confirmed the Dutch Grand Prix 2020, Spanish Grand Prix 2020 and Monaco Grand Prix 2020 will be postponed.

The announcement comes after the season opener in Australia was postponed earlier this month followed by the subsequent postponement of the next two races in Bahrain and Vietnam.

“Due to the ongoing and fluid nature of the Covid-19 situation globally, the FIA, Formula One and the three promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.” said the released statement.

The 2020 Formula One season is therefore likely to be staged in Baku, the race after the Monaco GP taking place on June 7 with the Canadian Grand Prix taking place a week later in Montreal.

In a bid to rescue the normal season, F1 has gone a step further to scrap the August summer shutdown to help slot in the postponed races.

“The FIA and Formula One expect to begin the 2020 Championship season as soon as it is safe to do so after May and will continue to regularly monitor the ongoing Covid-19 situation.”

The wait for the Formula One action thus remains in question with the rapid outbreak of the coronavirus expected to last for months.


Content created and supplied by: SamuelGitahi (via Opera News )

Australia F1 FIA Grand Prix Monaco GP

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments