France reached the 2006 FIFA World Cup final but lost 5-3 to Italy on penalty shoot out. They are joining the 2022 FIFA World Cup as the defending champions having won the trophy in 2018. France won 4-1 against Australia in their first group stage match which is a clear indication that they are ready to perform well in the tournament. Here is how France has managed to replace their 2006 World Cup squad in 2022.
1. Thierry Henry - He has been replaced by Kylian Mbappe as the main forward in the team. Mbappe scored 1 goal and gave 1 assist in their 4-1 win against Australia in the opening FIFA World Cup match.
2. Franck Ribery - Ousmane Dembele has managed to step up as his replacement. Dembele who plays as a winger gave 1 assist in their 4-1 win against Australia.
3. Zinedine Zidane - He was their main attacking midfielder in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. He has been replaced by Antoine Griezmann in 2022.
4. Lilian Thuram - The French retired centre back has been replaced by Rafael Verane in the 2022 World Cup squad.
5. Patrick Vieira - He played as the central defensive midfielder in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. France selected Aurelien Tchouaneni as their central defensive midfielder in 2002.
Content created and supplied by: Odhiamboalphoncearnold (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More