Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society


Crime Justice



How a Strange Facebook Post From a Man Who Allegedly Killed 17-Year-Old Girl Led to His Arrest

Cynthia Makokha left Nairobi for Mumias after schools were closed for the holiday. She assured her mother and uncle that she would spend at least four days there before going back to school on October 11, those were her last words before she went missing on October 4.

Her journey, however, ended tragically after she was abducted, killed and her body thrown into the River Lisumu, some few kilometres from Kakamega town. It is reported that she boarded Eldoret Express at 6 am and kept updating her family where she was but went mute after reaching Kapsabet. She later picked her phone and said she had reached Butere, that was 8 pm.

Cynthia's family.

"While I was searching for her in Butere, a message was sent from her phone to her aunt in Nairobi confirming that she was safe. I returned home around 11 pm hoping she would join us the following morning," said Mr Victor Wanga, her uncle.

On October 5, her Facebook friends noticed that her profile picture was updated by an unknown man. The family reported the same to the police and a search led to the arrest of a man only identified as Johnny.

In the house where he was arrested, Cynthia's bag and mobile phone were recovered. The suspect was however tight-lipped and gave no information to the detectives. He would later say that the girl was unknown to him but could not give further information on how he acquired the deceased properties.

Confirming the incident Mr Stephen Muoni, Mumias West sub-county police commander, said the suspect was still in custody in connection to the murder of the Form Four student. He further added that he was being treated as a prime suspect and will be arraigned in court once the probe into Cynthia's murder is over.

Content created and supplied by: HelenMalkia (via Opera News )

Butere Cynthia Makokha Eldoret Express Lisumu Mumias


Load app to read more comments