Marriage is an institution that changes the life and obligations of a woman forever. As a single woman, this is the best time to decide the kind of marriage you want and start preparing for it.
Weddings are beautiful but marriage is an eye opener. If you only prepare for your wedding day by buying a beautiful wedding gown and not prepare for the marriage itself and learn what it takes to build a home, you will definitely hit a brick wall in future. Wedding is just a day but marriage is forever. So use this period as a single person to prepare for it.
If you see this season for what it is – preparation for the challenges ahead – you will rise to the challenge and learn as much as possible what it takes to be a good wife.
God knows what your future marriage will be like and what the kind of man you are going to marry will demand from you. That is why He gives you opportunities each day to prepare you for what lies ahead. But if you try to rush through your single season and ignore the training He offers, you will come to marriage ill prepared for its demands and may even crash out before you even begin the journey into marriage.
It’s wise to prepare for marriage during your single season. See singleness as your training ground. Learn all that you can about marriage from trusted married friends whose marriages are exemplary; read books on marriage from trusted authors and remember what your mother must have taught you while growing up.
How do you prepare for marriage so that the ‘I do’ you said on your wedding day is the beginning of bliss, rather than regret?
This preparation I am about to tell you may look different from what you are expecting.
For women preparing for marriage and not just the wedding, here are 6 marriage preparation tips that will help you to get ready.
1. Marriage is not only about cooking and cleaning. A lot of single ladies think being married is only about cooking delicious meals and generally taking care of a home. Yes, don’t get me wrong, it includes all the wifely skills of taking care of the home but there is much more to it than that. Your single season is an excellent time to learn practical skills. They certainly play a role in making you a good wife, but being just a good cook isn’t necessary for a successful marriage.
2. It’s your attitude that matters most. The spirit you bring to marriage, which you must have groomed as a single person is the most influential factor on your future union. If you keep a perfect house but have anger issue, your future marriage will struggle. If you cook gorgeous five-course meals but don’t respect and honour your husband, you will find it difficult to accept your husband’s love. So your attitude is EVERYTHING.
Preparing for marriage is not about cooking and cleaning. It’s about the content of your heart and the kind of attitude you have developed as a single person. If you have a terrible attitude and quarrel with people often, this is the best time to change and cultivate a better attitude.
3. A good character is very important. The most important thing when you’re marrying is character. If someone is of good character and loves God, it will be easier to work out any problems in future. They’ll be able to hear from God, they’ll want to please God, and even if you hit a big brick wall, they’ll still be there with you to solve it. If someone has a weak character, no matter how much you love them, you’re going to run into some major problems. So develop a good character as a single lady and you will surely attract a man with similar character.
4. Make smart financial decisions. Smart men don’t want to marry a woman who spends more than she saves or who depends on a man completely for her every need. Common advice for single women is to work on your budget. Key things to do before getting married include being financially dependent. At least take care of your basic needs; build an emergency fund and learn how to save. Preparing for tomorrow is important. The ability to manage money as a wife is very important in marriage.
5. Practice forgiveness. Practicing forgiveness is one skill you need to cultivate before getting married. You have to learn how to forgive people who offend you now that you are still single. It is not something you practice when you are already married. While learning how to be a wife, you must remember that practicing forgiveness in your marriage is an important component of preparing for marriage.
6. Master the art of being faithful to one man and be trustworthy. No man wants a woman that cannot be faithful to him. Fidelity is what you learn now while you are still single. As a single lady, you have multiple boyfriends and you don’t see anything wrong with it? You are simply cheating each of those men you are having an affair with and when you get married, it will be difficult for you to be satisfied or stay faithful to only one man.
Learn to be 100% committed prior to a serious courtship. Be happy with what God has blessed you with and cultivate the art of being faithful when in a relationship. It is also important to be a woman of your word. If you promise to do something, be sure to do it!
7. Understand Submission and embrace it. Many people shy away from this discussion. A lot of liberal women and feminists think it is a way men try to enslave them. Submission is yielding in love. It is not for men to use to suppress women. Study God’s design for marriage and understand your role as a wife. In your single state, God is your husband. Submit yourself to Him. Trust His plan and timing for your life. Seek His guidance in all that you do. Practicing submission will now be the driving force behind it and will become second nature to you once you become a wife.
Content created and supplied by: Newsprime (via Opera News )