To be arrested means to be apprehended with a person by a legal authority so as to cause deprived of liberty, thus after the arrest the person's liberty is in control of the arrester.
1. To be informed in a language he or she understands much better of; the reason and the grounds of the arrest.
2. The right to see the arrest warrant of his arrest, and the content of the warrant if the person asks. If not it will result to unlawful arrest.
3. The right to remain silent and the consequences of not remaining silent, that is, anything he or she says can and will be used against him or her in the court of law.
4. The right to communicate to attorney of choice, if he or she can't afford, one will be provided by the government.
5. Right to make a phone call and communicate to persons whose assistance is necessary and inform his family about the arrest.
6. Right to be examined by a medical practitioner sooner after the arrest.
7. Right not to be compelled to make any confession that can implicate him or her in the court of law as evidence.
8. Right to be held at different and separate custody from individuals already serving their sentences.
9. Right to be brought before court not later than 24 hours after the arrest.
10. To be charged or informed of reasons of being detained or released at the first court appearance.
11. Unless there are compelling reasons not to be released, arrested person has right to be released on bond or cash bail, pending charge or trial, on reasonable conditions.
12. If an offence is punishable by fine only or by imprisonment for a period not more than half a year, a person should not be remanded in custody.
Content created and supplied by: FimboYaMusa. (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More