As the upcoming UDA party preliminaries draw closer, there is no doubt that Kericho county is set to host a heated gubernatorial contest as former university lecturer Dr Erick Mutai squares it out with a section of the county's political giants.
As of now, Dr Mutai has been ranked as the frontrunner for the party's ticket which is expected to determine the current governor's successor following DP Ruto's lead popularity in the region.
However, out of all the current four contestants, Dr Mutai is a new face in the county's political arena yet his political wave has taken the entire county by a storm. Among the aspirants were former Devolution CS Charles Keter, Former Kenya Ports Authority director and renowned Kipkelion based Engineer, Fred Kirui and incumbent deputy governor Lily Ng'ok.
Unlike Mutai, his competitors are also well known wealthy people in the county and are already running well-oiled campaigns across the country as the latter relies on volunteers and borrowed financial muscles.
Mutai's presence has specifically hit Charles Keter's heavy blows after resigning from the cabinet only to find a highly charged ground contrary to the earlier expectations that the former CS would easily scoop the seat. Reports further indicate that Senator Aaron Cheruiyot who had earlier shown interest in the top seat chickened out after the sudden turn of events.
This writer took research to know the little known scholar better and here are Seven verified facts about Dr Erick Mutai's life.
1. Born in 1986 in Rungut Village, Litein ward, Bureti constituency, Kericho county.
2. Was brought up in the poor family background and his education journey was often hindered by a lack of school fees.
3. Attended Rungut primary school and later the Kericho county academic powerhouse Litein Boys High School.
4. Joined Maseno University in 2004 to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Education where he graduated in 2009.
5. Pursued a Master's degree at Kabianga University between 2011 and 2014 before doing a Doctorate at Laikipia University where he graduated in 2018.
6. Served as a Senior Literature and Communications Lecturer at Embu University alongside other roles such as the Chairman of the same department before joining politics.
7. Former Roads Minister Franklin Bett has been supporting him since his college days and even his gubernatorial dreams. He however draws inspiration from Deputy President Dr William Samoei Ruto.
Content created and supplied by: Croozynews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More