The government has raised about Sh57.8 billion to help families affected by the ongoing drought that has hit many counties.
Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua said the money, which was raised in collaboration with development partners including the United Nations would be used to feed 4.3 million Kenyans in 23 counties.
During the inauguration of the 15-member National Steering Committee on Drought Response yesterday, Mr Gachagua also said that the govern- ment would launch a paybill number for individuals and corporates to con- tribute funds towards mitigating the ef- fects of the drought.
The committee was formed by President William Ruto early this week to mobilise resources.
"Several initiatives have been set in motion. I joined the UN family in Maalimin, Garissa County, on Monday for the launch of a flash appeal for $472.6 million," the DP said.
The announcement by Mr Gachagua comes when the country is facing drought that has largely been blamed on failed rains.
The government says more than four million Kenyans face hunger, with Turkana, Samburu, Tana River, Marsabit, Wajir, Isiolo, Mandera, Garissa, Kitui, Kajiado and Laikipia counties being the worst hit by the drought.
The figures are an increase from the 3.5 million people who in March were said to be facing hunger, with 636,000 children malnourished.
Some 942,000 children are facing mal- nutrition across the country, according to government agencies.
Apart from little or no rain, the govern- ment blames the drought on the Covid-19 pandemic that shrunk the economy, invasion of desert locusts last year and the Russia-Ukraine war.
Mr Gachagua said the government intends to raise more money through the task force.
He added that part of the plan would include distributing food to families, cash transfers and "longterm projects aimed at addressing global warming".
The DP also appealed to Kenyans to heed the call by the government and contribute part of their income to help drought-affected families
Content created and supplied by: ULTIMATE_NEWS (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More