According to the Kenyan constitution, general elections are scheduled to take place after every five years in the six levels of leadership ranging from the president, governors, senators, women representatives, members of Parliament and members of county assemblies.
The last general elections were conducted in 2017 hence next year on 9th August it is a general polls day countrywide. The independent electoral and boundaries commission is mandated to conduct and regulate elections and below are the basic requirements one will need to run for any elective seat next year;
1. Be a Kenyan citizen for at least 10 years before the election.
2. Not hold dual citizenship (unless, according to IEBC, the citizenship of the other country has been obtained by operation of law without the capacity to opt-out).
3. Not owe allegiance to a foreign state.
4. Be a registered voter.
5. Be nominated by a Political Party or is an independent candidate.
6. Meet the statutory moral and ethical requirements under the Leadership and Integrity Act.
7. Not be an undischarged bankrupt.
8. Be a person of sound mind.
9. Not be subject to a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months from the date of registration of candidates or date of elections.
10. Not have been found to have abused or misused state or public office or contravened Chapter Six of the Constitution.
11. Not have been dismissed or removed from public office for contravening the provisions of Articles 75, 76, 77 and 78 of the Constitution.
Comment, share and follow me (vision+kenya) for more information, thank you.
Content created and supplied by: Vision+Kenya (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More