Life is a series of problems that have to be solved and a lot of times those problems cause stress. Gratitude can be that stress buster.
The way we celebrate holidays often includes a rhetoric of adopting an attitude of gratitude but what about after the leftovers and family china have been put away. How do we, show our thankful for each thing that contributes to our lives.Here are 10 habits that will help you cultivate gratitude on a regular basis:
Research has shown that writing down what you’re thankful for can lead to a multitude of wellness benefits. Keeping a gratitude journal can reinforce positive thoughts something particularly helpful as the brain tends to naturally focus on what goes wrong. Putting pen to paper can also help you make more progress as you work toward personal goals.
2. Don’t avoid the negative. Expressing gratitude may generate more optimism, but thankful people also don’t shy away from the negative. While we often associate gratitude with focusing on the good and avoiding the bad, the key to leading a thankful life is embracing setbacks as part of your overall journey. Recalling a hard time you once experienced chances are, you’ll start to feel grateful for your current state and overcoming former challenges.
3. Spend time with loved ones.
Thankful people know they didn’t get to where they are by themselves and they make it a habit to spend time with those people who matter most. Gratitude really helps us connect to other people. It actually strengthens relationships and relationships are the strongest predictors of happiness and coping with stress.
4 Tell them you love them. Expressing appreciation for loved ones can also help create a closeness by allowing others to see how you look at them. More than other emotion, gratitude is the emotion of friendship. It is part of a psychological system that causes people to raise their estimates of how much value they hold in the eyes of another person.
And stating how much you appreciate your loved ones pays off. A study found that couples who expressed gratitude in their relationship had better marriages. Higher levels of thankfulness in the relationship also seemed to reduce men and women’s likelihood of divorce.
5. Use social media mindfully.
In our plugged-in culture, it’s impossible to avoid social media altogether. However, thankful people mindfully take advantage of these networks.Thankful people use whatever cues that exist in everyday environments to trigger grateful thoughts. Pictures and information on social media that’s a very good way to do it.
Research has found that positive thoughts shared on social media spread faster than than negative something that makes the gratitude process a lot easier when turning to the Internet. Assembling an archive of postings on Facebook and Instagram to pull from when you need a reminder to be grateful. This method will help you cue happy memories through pages that you normally visit on a daily basis. Technology and devices are criticized because you’re less connected, but if used correctly it can be the opposite.
6. Know the value of the little things. There’s power in the small, ordinary moments, like catching the subway before the doors close or your pet greeting your happily when you get home.
7. Then help others appreciate them, too. Small acts of kindness make a difference in a big way when it comes to cultivating gratitude. Thankful people make it a habit to acknowledge and pay forward each bit of kindness that comes their way, whether it’s a simple compliment, help on a task or getting flowers just because. Research shows this type of kindness makes both you and the other person happier.
8. Volunteer. Everyone needs a little help sometimes and grateful people know there’s no other way to acknowledge this than by actively doing something about it. Those who volunteer often feel grateful for the experience to give back. Since service to others helped them to ﬁnd their own inner spirituality, they were grateful for the opportunity to serve.
Volunteering can result in lower feelings of depression and increased overall well-being. Examining your own talents and using them to help others, noting that people become more grateful as givers rather than receivers.
9. Get moving. Exercising has been proven to clear your mind and reduce stress, all key components in setting yourself up for gratitude. Thankful people who move their feet experience an overall healthier mind and body, therefore making gratitude one of the best medicines.
10. Love yourself. Grateful people know that their thankful attitude can also fuel self-compassion. A study found that higher levels of gratitude were associated with greater self-esteem. And it’s no wonder: When your well-being is a priority, you can’t help but feel great. Thankful for being the person that you are. That should be at the top of your gratitude list. Thank you for reading my article and please click following button for more of my articles.
Content created and supplied by: Lukayu (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More