In the modern world many people use bricks for masonry works. They use these materials daily without caring about their limitations. Using bricks to construct walls and other structures have the following disadvantages.
1. Bricks absorb alot of water thus making your building very weak.
2. They cannot be used in high seismic zones because they are less resistant to earthquakes.
3. Bricks cannot be used to construct very tall buildings i.e storey buildings going beyond 40 metres.
4. Bricks easily get broken when laying them.
In this article I will talk about new type of building material used for constructing walls. This material is known as hollow block. A hollow block as its name suggests is just a normal block which have an opening on its faces.
Hollow blocks offers the following benefits over bricks.
1. Hollow blocks are very resistant to earthquakes hence can be used in high seismic zones.
2. Construction work is faster when using hollow blocks.
3. They are very resistant to harsh weather conditions such as excessive rains.
4. They are very strong and difficult to break hence they will make your building to last longer.
5. Are relatively cheap as compared to bricks.
6. They have higher compression ability than bricks.
Content created and supplied by: @Onyango (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More