Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society

 

Safety accident

 

Food safety

The philodendrons in your house could cause poisoning to children and pets.

Philodendrons are quite a common choice of house plant, thanks to their ability to thrive indoors with minimal care. Here comes the bad news though, they are also hazardous for certain age groups. Well, most adults have nothing to worry about, but it’s not the same for kids and pets. If cats or dogs chew on the leaves of the plant, they might experience irritation inside their mouth, excessive drooling, nausea, and difficulty swallowing. The leaves of the plant contain calcium oxalate- a compound known to cause toxicity when the plant is mishandled or ingested. These oxalates form “Raphides,” which are tiny, needle-like structures.

Philodendrons are a popular houseplant due to their capacity to flourish inside with little maintenance. 

However, there is some bad news: they are also dangerous for some age groups.

Most people, on the other hand, have nothing to be concerned about, but this is not the case with children and dogs. 

Chewing on the plant's leaves can cause discomfort in the mouth, profuse drooling, nausea, and difficulties swallowing in cats and dogs.

When the plant is mishandled or consumed, the leaves contain calcium oxalate, a chemical that can cause poisoning. 

The oxalates combine to form “Raphides,” which are needle-like structures.If the plant is eaten or the sap comes into touch with skin or eyes, these small structures can cause mechanical harm, severe microtrauma, and edema(swelling of the skin).

After chewing it, children may experience similar symptoms, including some significant ones such as blisters and extreme swelling inside the mouth, which could impair their ability to swallow. 

Content created and supplied by: DavisKe (via Opera News )

Raphides

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments