Idioms are defined as group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words. They play a very important role in expression of English language. They come up when written or spoken since they literally don’t make any meaning when alone. As a learner, you need to familiarize yourself with these idioms though it may be a bit tough, but it is so fun learning them.
Learning and knowing each idiom, may make you seem as a native speaker of English and hence a good and great idea to master these idiomatic expressions.
You don’t need to start by learning hard idioms but to start with the simple ones which are even encountered in various movies we watch.
In today’s article, we are going to learn different idioms which may help you in one way or another by improving your language.
• At first sight: this is an idiom that means, at first place.
• Beating around the bush: this means to avoid giving precise or clear definition of something.
• Be all in: it means to be extremely tired
• Be hard on someone: it means to be tough on someone.
• Ballpark figure: this means approximate estimate.
• As a rule: means in general.
• Above the board: is an idiom meaning being honest or frank.
• Be to blame: means being responsible for the mistakes.
• Black sheep: means good for nothing member of the family.
• Break the ice: avoid being shy or awkward on something.
• Blow it: it means to lose the chance.
• Call the tune: an idiom that means to give orders.
• Bite the bullet: this idiom means to accept pains but with necessary actions.
• I’ll t ease: means to be uncomfortable.
Content created and supplied by: Fasihibrand (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More