Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Politics

 

Politics

 

Nigeria politics

Court Bars Two Mombasa Residents Joined in Sonko's Case

A Supreme Court sitting in Mombasa on Tuesday night ruled out two Mombasa residents who wanted to be excluded from a petition by former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko against IEBC.

  Sonko appealed the IEBC Dispute Resolution Committee ruling disqualifying him from running for governor of Mombasa County.  The two plaintiffs; Mukithi D. and Anderson Warui had requested that the case be brought against them, arguing that it was in the public interest of the case that they wanted to participate in the petition.  

The two had argued that the former governor was not qualified to run for governor because he had been indicted and found guilty of a serious violation of the constitution.  The three-judge tribunal, consisting of Justices Olga Sewe, Ann Ong'injo and Stephen Githinji, struck down her petition, saying that she had not met any requirements for the application to be valid."It was clear to us that her interest in the case was remote.

They have shown no personal interest in the case and only want to defend the public interest," Sewe said.  Furthermore, the court stated that the duo's public interest was not sufficient to order them in the case.  

https://twitter.com/TheStarKenya/status/1544362799559761922?s=19

“Applicants have no proven experience that could help determine the outcome of the case and will not be penalized if their application is denied. The application is dismissed,” the court ruled.At the same time, Sonko's legal team, led by Wilfred Nyamu, asked the court to provide additional affidavits and submissions Wednesday before the hearing could begin. 

 "We are asking permission to file a supplementary affidavit and video file also by 11 am tomorrow," Nyamu told the court.

Content created and supplied by: Soilatasha (via Opera News )

Anderson Warui IEBC Dispute Resolution Committee Mukithi D. Sonko Supreme Court

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments