Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Politics

 

Politics

 

Africa politics

Kenyans in South Africa Urged to Stay Indoors


The Kenyan government says none of its nationals living in South Africa have been harmed in the protests that began last week to demand the release of jailed ex-President Jacob Zuma.

High Commissioner to Pretoria Catherine Mwangi said on Wednesday that the Mission is working with diaspora associations to trace members' whereabouts, but indicated there were no reports of death or injuries of Kenyan nationals.

“The Mission is in touch with Kenyans through the Diaspora organisations and to date, all Kenyans are safe and taking all precautions to stay away from the hotspots and keep safe,” she told Nation.Africa.

Any Kenyan in distress, she said, should get in touch with the High Commission whose emergency contacts are listed on the website at kenya.org.za.

On standby

“The Mission staff are on standby to extend required assistance,” she said.

Kenya’s assurances come as some Kenyans said their business wares had been looted in the chaos in South Africa’s KwaZulu Natal and Gauteng Provinces.

Officials of a local Kenyan association had told Nation.Africa yesterday that all its members were safe, but that some had lost items to looters.

Godfrey Kamatu, the chairperson of the Kenya Diaspora in South Africa alliance said Kenyan business owners had closed their shops while others did not report to work due to unrest.

“They are not beating people. They are looting food and vandalising property,” he said.

Content created and supplied by: Jepkoech (via Opera News )

Catherine Mwangi Kenyan Kenyans Pretoria South Africa

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments