Ugali is usually maize that has been refined in a posho mill so as to produce flour, the flour is prepared by combining the flour with water by use of a fire source. The advantages of taking ugali are;
1) Ugali helps in promoting the health of the eye. The lutein and zeaxanthin nutrients in the maize flour which is more than half of the total carotenoid content found in the retina of the eye, which are used to protect the eye against oxidative damage.
Taking the ugali would help increase the levels of lutein and zeaxanthin nutrients in the blood and majorly aid in reducing muscular degeneration and cataracts in the eye.
Hence muscular degeneration and cataracts are avoided even when in the old ages because of the nutrition of ugali.
2) Ugali can be used for protection against certain diseases. Diseases such as diverticular disease are prevented from occurring as much as possible when taking ugali.
Diverticular disease is a type of disease which makes pouches appear on the walls of the intestine, mostly it would affect the large intestine.
This disease would make a person to experience cramps in the stomach, flatulence where wind from the intestine is removed from the intestine through the anus also known as farting,
bloating where gas is usually created and accumulates in the stomach and also at the intestines, it may also be accompanied by other infection. Hence such type of disease is prevented when ugali is taken.
3) lastly, ugali acts as a source of proteins in the body. This means eating ugali alone guarantees that you will be giving proteins such as zinc and magnesium in the body.
Ugali also gives the body vitamins such as vitamin B that is important for the general health of the body.
There are also dangers that comes with taking ugali and they include;
1) Eating ugali in large quantities is dangerous. This is where people eat ugali more than what the stomach can accommodate at one time, such incidence include where a person eats ugali such that the person cannot barely move, from that position where the person sat while eating,
forcing the person to stay in that position for some few hours before making any type of movement. This type of overeating ugali could kill the person because the person would have difficulty in breathing.
2) The maize flour has phytic acids that result in the difficulty of absorption of minerals directly from the same meal, this means that the minerals may not be absorbed from the maize.
But this problem only occurs to people who do not take a balanced diet, because people who take balanced diets can obtain the minerals from other foods apart from ugali.
3) Finally, maize flour is susceptible to fungi, fungi majorly makes the flour to become toxic while it is in storage.
If the maize flour will be used in preparing ugali it would lead to health problems to the person taking that ugali.
Also, if maize that is not properly dried and is used in preparing ugali it would increase the risk of contacting the cancer of the esophagus, when the ugali is taken in the body.
Content created and supplied by: Anyiti_jim (via Opera News )