Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the cervix. The cervix is the part which connects the vagina to the lower part of a woman's uterus.
The cancer begins when the healthy cells in the cervix mutate. With time, these cells multiplies out of control and they do not die unlike healthy cells. when the abnormal cells accumulate, they form a tumor.
Causes of cervical cancer
It is still unclear what causes cervical cancer. It has, however, been confirmed that human papillomavirus(HPV), a common STI, leads to cervical cancer. However there are several factors which increases the risk of getting cervical cancer.
1. Having many sexual patners-The higher the number of sexual patners and the greater your patner's sexual patners the greater your chances of getting HPV.
2. Early sexual activity-having sex at an early age increases your risk of getting HPV.
3. Weakened immune system- you may be more likely to get cervical cancer if your immune system is weakened by another health condition and you have HPV.
4. Smoking-smoking is associated with squamous cell cervical cancer.
Signs of cervical cancer
In it's early stages cervical cancer will be likely not to show any sign or symptoms. These are evident as time passes.
1. Vaginal breeding after intercourse, between period or after menopause.
2. Waterly, bloody vaginal discharge that may be heavy and havea bad smell.
3. Pelvic pain or more pain during intercourse.
Prevention of cervical cancer
To reduce the risk of cervical cancer
1. Get the HPV vaccine- this vaccine may reduce your risk of cervical cancer and other HPV-related cancers.
2. Get pap smear tests- pap tests can detect precancerous condition of the cervix, so they can be monitored or treated in order to prevent cervical cancer.
3. Practice safe sex- reduce your risk of cervical cancer by taking measures to prevent STI. You can do this by using a condom every time you have sex or by limiting the number of sexual patner's you have.
Note,Cervical cancer can be prevented.
Content created and supplied by: Dr.life964 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More