Kenya will receive Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine if you missed out on the first helping of AstraZeneca jabs.
It is anticipated that the Ministry of Health has concentrated on Johnson& Johnson as it’s a next jab vaccine hence reducing logistical distribution nightmares confirmed Health Cabinet secretary Mutahi Kagwi. AstraZeneca needed two jabs which most Kenyans who received the first are still waiting for.
The country was to receive 24 million doses of the vaccine at a cost of $3.6 million (Sh389 million) through the COVAX facility. Kenya had also disbursed resources to get an additional 10 million doses. However, only one million doses have arrived.
“We are of the opinion that there is a great and urgent need to redirect these funds to other vaccine manufacturers with the capacity to supply us with the vaccines,” he said Kagwe in selecting Johnson $ Johnson as the best alternative supplier.
He said that 116,000 Covid-19 positive cases have been registered with 114,000 recoveries and 3000 fatalities in the Kenya as at May 12.
He appealed to COVAX and Gavi to fasten the redistribution of unused AstraZeneca dozes to countries that are able to make use of them on time to prevent the expiry of vaccines while many persons in the worldwide needs them.
At the same time, Kisumu Governor Anyang Nyong’o added that the Indian Covid-19 variant had been altered with even as he faces challenges in combating the pandemic, but claimed statements that the lakeside county was going the Indian way.
Nyong'o's sentiments came as the county awaits to host Madaraka Day celebrations on June 1.
"No new Indian Covid-19 variant case has been found and confirmed in Kisumu coumty from the time the last case three weeks ago,” said Nyong’o. “All their contacts examined negative in subsequent tests” thus disputing the county health team that 25 cases had been found from 310 tests of contacts of five pers found with Indian variant.
Nyong’o said there was no result for alarm besides the Ministry of Health hinting the Lakeside counties as registering a high number of Covid-19 infections as the country lost 14 more lives.
Nyong’o also directed all mortuaries not to preserve bodies for more than two days while banning night gatherings and only less than 100 members are to attend burials ceremonies.
Content created and supplied by: Awuol (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More