Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society

 

Safety accident

 

Food safety

Why You Should Not Eat Bananas if You Notice These Signs of Spoilage

Photo: Courtesy

Bananas are loved by many people and a day cannot go before taking a banana for several individuals. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), an individual takes an average of 90 bananas every year. 

Bananas play an important role in the body as they contain potassium that helps keep blood pressure in check. They also contain vitamin C. What most people do not know is that eating unripe or overripe bananas can be harmful to your health. Bananas get bad quickly mostly when it is ripe and it can be difficult to tell. According to the American Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), bananas are only safe to eat one week after getting ripe. 

Photo: Courtesy

When your bananas have a black spot then you should think twice about eating them as the spots are usually an indication of fungal infection. Other signs which may mean that you should throw away your bananas is mushy texture, liquid dripping from the banana and mould on the peel. Though uncommon, the bananas can also have flies moving around them when they are overly ripe. These flies may contaminate the bananas with bacteria. 

Photo: Courtesy

The major thing most people usually assume is the banana smell. When bananas go bad, they give fermented and mouldy smell. Those kinds of smells mean that your fruit is no longer safe to eat and eating them can expose one to food poisoning. It is advisable that you carefully inspect your fruit before you consume it.  

Content created and supplied by: OpijaRaduk (via Opera News )

American Centres for Disease Control and Prevention C. CDC WHO World Health Organization

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments