We all love Omena, so today I teach us how to prepare dry fried Omena to serve with ugali for supper.
- 259g omena
- 1 bunch kales (sukuma wiki) cut into small pieces
- 2 large onions, cut in small pieces
- 2 tomatoes, cut in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- I tablespoon of hot and sweet tomato sauce
- Spices (optional)
- Maize flour
- Wash and prepare the ingredients. In a pan, put oil then add the onions and cook for a while, then add the tomatoes and the tomato paste and cook them on low heat. Add salt a 2 tablespoons of water, then add the kales. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Wash the omena well. Soak in hot water mixed with salt for 10 minutes. Completely drain off the water. In a pan, put some oil, just a little or enough to shallow fry the omena. Once the oil is hot, add your spices and a little salt if need be, then add the omena and let them fry as you toss the pan after every few intervals for about 5 minutes. Make sure you are using low heat, the add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the hot and sweet tomato sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Prepare your ugali, the normal way. Place half a litter of water in a pan, when it's almost to boil, add a little flour. When it has completely boiled, put some flour and wait for a minute before cooking the ugali. Now add flour as you mix well the ugali to make it firm. Once ready, serve and enjoy the meal.
Try out this recipe at home and you will have all the reasons to be eating Omena. Share the recipe to your friends.
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More