Leftover foods are usually seen as lifesavers especially when one doesn't have time to cook a proper meal. Unfortunately, some foods can be poisonous if reheated and consumed.
Eating reheated leftover potatoes can give you a stomachache. According to the Independent's report, when cooked potatoes are left for too long to cool at room temperature a bacteria that causes botulism may develop.
Reheating them will not completely kill the bacteria and that could put you at risk of becoming ill if you eat them. To avoid this you should tuck them in the refrigerator immediately after serving.
Leftover spinach is not most people's favourite snack but the need to avoid wasting food and their nutritional value could prompt someone to toss in a microwave and eat them.
Unfortunately, spinach contains nitrites that can be converted to nitrates. Business insider reported that reheating spinach converts the nitrates to nitrosamines which are carcinogenic and could impair the body's ability to carry oxygen.
This is very crucial since chicken is most people's favourite meal and the temptation of eating it's leftover is very high. Chicken that has been left to cool at room temperature collects a lot of salmonella bacteria. Reheating it will not completely make it safe for consumption since not all the bacteria will die.
The only chicken that is safe for reheating is that which was placed in the refrigerator right after serving and you should ensure that all the parts are reheated to at least 175 degrees Fahrenheit. You can ensure this by using a cooking thermometer.
The European Food and Information Council recommends that it is a big mistake to reheat mushrooms that have been left at room temperature for some time. Mushrooms contains proteins and if not stored properly they could be damaged by bacteria and enzymes making them poisonous.
Eggs are very delicate because they can go bad within few hours without your knowledge especially on a hot day. The Food and Drugs Administration advises that it is dangerous to reheat eggs that have been sitting around even for a short while. Eggs should be consumed immediately after cooking when they are still steaming hot.
Content created and supplied by: GirlinSpecs (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More