Githeri is a staple food for many Kenyans. It is what many families cook after ugali because it is affordable and cheap. Today let's learn step by step on how to cook githeri.
- 400 g bouled
- 600 g boiled beans
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, pureed
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 2 ginger - finely minced
- Half red pepper bell
- 1 chilli beef cube
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 TBS curry powder
- 1 TBS salt
- Hoho (red)
- Heat your sufuria on a medium heat and then add the vegetable oil followed by the onions and cook them until they just turn translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about a minute and then add the curry powder, which will cook for a minute to cook off the raw taste and aroma.
- Add pureed tomatoes and beef chilli cube, stir, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for about 5minutes or until the mixture reduces and thickens.
- Add carrots and spring onions then simmer for a minute before adding the maize and beans.
- Add salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken and all the flavors to come together.
- Finally, add the dhania and red hoho and simmer for just a minute. Turn off the heat and serve.
Githeri is sweet and delicious when cooked well. It can be served at anytime. During this harvesting time,I will advice you to look for the maize which is still in the shamba and use them to cook your githeri. Share the article to your friends.
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More