Just to quickly define uji, it’s basically a thin porridge made from different blends of flour ranging from wimbi(millet), mahindi (corn), sorghum among others. It’s eaten for breakfast and it’s quite filling.
In this recipe, I’ve added some milk to make it creamier and some salted butter/ margarine for a creamier tastier result. I’ve also topped it off with some nuts and raisins to bring in some texture. Lastly, I squeezed in some fresh lemon juice for a light tanginess.
Ingredients; 1/2 cup porridge flour, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup milk, 4 tablespoon sugar, 1 Lemon, 1 tablespoon salted butter/margarine, 1 tablespoon Honey Optional, A handful Mixed nuts and raisins Optional gor garnish
1. Start by boiling 1 1/2 cups of water.
2. Mix 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of uji flour/ uji mix until you get a light consistency.
3. Stir the boiling water and add the uji mix as you continue to stir.
4. Boil this for about 10 minutes while stirring frequently. The stirring prevents any possible clumps and lumps from forming.
5. Once it begins to thicken, add in the milk and continue to stir and cook for about 5 more minutes.
6. Add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon or 1/2 a teaspoon of citric acid.
7. Pour in the sugar and mix it in until its dissolved.
8. Reduce the heat and add the butter or margarine. Reduce the frequency of stirring.
9. After 5 minutes, take it off the heat and serve.
10. Farnish with the mixture of nuts and raisins and drizzle some honey.
Content created and supplied by: Kimunyoski (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More