Omena is one of the most delicious meals in Kenya. This meal is commonly enjoyed by Lakeside or Coastal local area residents. The small fish that are caught from the lake or sea are the ones named omena.
In this article, I am going to guide you on how to cook omena.
Ingredients of cooking Omena
1. 500g dried omena
2. One large chopped onion
3. Three large ripe chopped tomatoes
4. A bunch of fresh finely chopped coriander leaves (also known as dhania)
5. Green Bella pepper
6. Two Royco cubes
7. Salt to taste
8. Two gloves of garlic grated
Procedure of preparing Omena
1. Carefully get off all the dirty residues like rock pebbles from the omena and place it in a clean container.
2. Pour warm water to the omena until it' s slightly covered. Leave it to soak for 3 minutes.
3. Wash the omena by rubbing it between the balms of your hands. When the water gets too dirty change it and continue the process until the water is almost clear. (This shows that your omena is clean)
4. Squeeze off the extra water from the omena and set it aside
5. Pour two spoonful of cooking oil into a Sufuria and set it on medium heat.
6. Wait for the oil to get hot and pour in the omena and stir. Stir continually until the omena turns golden brown. Remove from the heat.
7. Place another sufuria with a spoonful of oil on heat and pour in the chopped onions. Let the onions turn golden brown and then add garlic. Mix well.
8. Add the chopped Bella pepper and continue stirring for two minutes.
9. Add tomatoes and stir well until they are tender and thoroughly crushed
10. Add the omena and mix well. Add a pinch of salt, Royco cubes and mix.
11. Finally you can now add the chopped coriander (the dhania) leaves. Stir for 1 minute and remove from heat.
Your omena is now ready to serve. It can be served with ugali, rice or chapati. Best when hot.
Content created and supplied by: entertainment_kenya (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More