When cooking mandazi with lemon, you do not need eggs, milk, or butter. We can therefore say that they are vegetarian, vegan, and lactose friendly.
This recipe will give you 16 medium mandazis. It serves 3-4 people or more depending on their appetite.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup of warm water
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- Extra flour for dusting
- Icing sugar optional (to garnish)
- Cooking oil for deep-fat frying
Note: For all-purpose flour use 1 cup to 1 tsp baking powder.
These are the simple steps you should follow;
1. In a bowl, beat the flour with a dry fork or whisk to remove any lumps. (This step just helps to aerate the flour making it light and fluffy to better absorb the ingredients.)
2. Combine the margarine with the flour and mix to make some small lumps.
3. add, sugar, salt, vanilla essence, and the grated lemon zest at the center.
4. Gently add some warm water. Mix with a fork to dissolve the sugar. Add water and continue mixing.
5. Once the dough has come together, start to knead it.
6. On a clean surface, sprinkle some flour and start to work your dough kneading it until it is soft and elastic. This will take about 10 or more minutes.
7. Once your dough is soft and semi-stretchy, let it rest. Ensure that you place it in a bowl greased with very little oil. This he's it not to stick. Cover the dough directly with Clingfilm and cover the bowl with a warm damp cloth. Rest it for about 10 minutes.
8. Divide your dough into 4 balls. This depends on the size of the mandazi you want.
9. Cover the other divided sections. Start by rolling out one of the balls. Cut it into whatever shape you fancy.
I cut mine into a triangular shape by rolling the dough into a circle and cut it halfway lengthwise, then across to make four quarters.
10. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown on all sides.
11. Drain and serve warm sprinkled with some icing sugar.
Content created and supplied by: MissKiundu (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More