They are very similar to the domestic cow in appearance, a male buffalo is called a bull and female called a cow, Buffaloes are know for their fierce nature, but the buffalo is actually a very intelligent and sociable animal with a very complex behavioral structure. The buffalo is one of the big five animals in kenya. Here are six facts about the buffalo that you probably didn't know.
1. Buffaloes are great swimmers and often cross deep waters in search of places with more vegetation.
2. There are two main types of buffaloes, that is the African cape buffalo and the Asian water buffalo, there are also some several sub species. Buffaloes come from the bovine family that include bison, antelopes and domestic cattle.
3. An adult African cape buffalo can stand up to six feet tall and weigh around 900 kilograms while an adult Asian water buffalo can stand up to six feet and weigh around 1200 kilograms. The hide in the neck of an adult male buffalo is about two inches thick, this serves to protect them during battle.
4. The average lifespan of all buffalo species is around 18 to 20 years of age in the wild. In captivity, they can live up to 30 years.
5. Buffaloes live in large herds of between 15 and 2000 buffaloes, sometimes thier number is even higher than this. They can run at a speed of up to 35 miles per hour.
6. The gestation period of a female buffalo is around 340 days. The calf is born weighing around 40 kilograms. The calf remains hidden in vegetation for the first few weeks where it is fed and nursed by the mother. When the calf is ready to join the group, it is placed at the centre of the herd for protection.
Content created and supplied by: THECENTRE (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More