The Kalenjin are a group of Southern Nilotic peoples indigenous to East Africa, residing mainly in what was formerly the Rift Valley Province in Kenya.The following are kalenjin vocabularies and their meaning:
a) Kapyugoi- Name of son in-law by father in-law.
b) Botoiten-Name of father in-law by son in-law.
a)Nyoiten- Name of brother in-law by son in-law.
b)Sandanin-Name of son in-law by brother in-law.
a) Umama-The real name of your mother real or actual brother.
b) Abule –Name to your male cousins of your mother.
a) Mbojo – Name of your sister brother to you.
b) Senge – respect name by your father sister (auntie).
a) Tilya – Respect name of relative of same clan.
b)Konyiteniot– Respect name to close relative of different clan.
6a) Makigat – Respect name to great grandfather of either sex.
b) Mochogoret- Respect name by grandparent to his/her grandchildren.
a) Korgetab-yugoi-Respect name to daughter in-law by mother in-law.
b.)Iyoo- Respect name of mother in-law by daughter in-law.
a) Bamongo/Aboiyon- Respect name by son to his father.
b) Konut – Name of your father by neighbor when distressed.
a) Batiem-/kogo- Name of grandmother by grandchildren.
b) Chepyoset- Name of elderly woman by his husband.
10. a) Boger –Name of mother in-law to son in-law who request sheep to be part of dowry.
b) Bogine- Name of mother in-law to son in-law who request goat as part of dowry.
11. a) Bomori /agui –Name of any elderly man age of your grandfather also name of parent.
b) Batany– Name of grandfather of your father side.
c) Bokwo/Botich- Name of grandfather of your mother side.
12. a) Bakule- Name of agemates who were circumcised in the same home or menjo.
b) Botum- name of agemates circumcised same time but different homes.
13. a) Ornyon- Name of clan members by distantly related.
b) Manyun-Name of clan members but closely related.
14. a)Chonginiek- First members of a given age group or sets.
b) Kiptaru- Second members of a given age group or set.
c) Kiptoyotoek- middle members of a given age set.
d.)Kiptoin – last group of members of a given age set or group.
15. a) Yootik- first spies of a raid.
b) Seegeik- Second spies of a raid.
c) Ngametyet-Leaders of return forces (warrior).
d) Pirtich- Those responsible for cattle.
e) Oldimdo/lumweet- followed pirtich and cattle.
f) Kipeelbany- cowards who feeds worriors on their way home.
Homestead and compound
1. Kook-sitting place for men
2. Mabwai- the altar must be on the eastern side of the main house as it is a sacred place.
3 Kaapmetet- sitting place for women and in most cases to the western side. women do their stuff there.
4. Piutab tuga/apathetic-cattle enclosure
5. Kaapmoen- calves enclosure
6. Kaaptich/singiroino- hut for men built inside or adjacent to cattle enclosure for security reasons
7 Kapmosoop/mosoop- main house for parents
8 Choogo/chooget- granary
1.Olmarich/mogoto- gate although they are not the same. In the main house (kamosop) we have,
2. Kurgat/musereita- door. (musereita was made from muserech tree.)
3. Inchoor/nchoor- sitting room
4Tootet/suum- bedroom literally
5. Itook- bed
6. Koima/koitab ma-fireplace
7. kipeelkonyan- space between fireplace and wall. women keep cooking stuff.
8. Saanet/saana- place for keeping utensils and it hangs from the root
9 Kapsotoon- place for keeping calabashes
10. Taboot/tabuut- ceiling
Content created and supplied by: Ridhaa (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More