Parents will be forced to dig deeper into their pockets after private universities raised tuition fees for government-sponsored students.
The state had initially reduced the capitation for the students in private universities from Ksh84, 217 allocated in 2018 to Ksh40,366 in the financial year ending in June- signifying a 52 percent drop according to data from the Universities Fund.
This prompted the institutions to increase tuition fees to Ksh20,000 per semester in a bid to cushion the universities from a financial crisis.
“Universities in Kenya are in a serious financial crisis because there is a continuous decline in government funding of universities amidst increased cost of administering education,” the UF stated in a report.
According to the current funding formula, the government caters for up to 80 percent of the tuition charges for government-sponsored students in universities, while the parents, guardians and institutions settle the remaining 20 percent.
The huge drop in funding has prompted private universities to resort to such measures in order to sustain the institutions.
However, it is not good news for parents who are already confronting harsh economic times, coupled with the ever-rising cost of living.
The situation is so dire that a petition has been presented before the education committee, raising questions on the guidelines used by institutions in order to increase the fees.
"Despite there being set fees for government-sponsored students, the institutions continue to charge more,” read the petition before the committee.
Content created and supplied by: Mr.brownP (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More