The movie shop business is increasingly becoming a profitable venture to start in Kenya. Many people prefer to entertain themselves by watching movies and television series. It is expensive to access the latest movies and series. You must pay a premium subscription for your decoder. This is what you need to know to run a successful movie shop in Kenya.
Choose a Location for Your Movie Shop. The success of your movie shop will depend on the business location you choose. You need to set up your shop in an area that is easily accessible to your target customers.
Some of the best locations are near bus stations, close to residential areas, town centers, a college or campus, and shopping centers.
Get a Business Premise. After identifying a strategic location for your movie shop business, the next step is to rent a shop or a store. When renting a shop, you need to keep in mind that rental costs tend to be high in developed and busy areas. The space of your business will also determine the rent prices.
Get the Necessary Licenses. You will need to get the necessary licenses before you can legally operate a movie shop. You will need the following licenses and permits for compliance.
1. Single Business Permit. The county government issues the single business permit and the costs vary from one county to the other. The fee may range between Ksh 3,000 and Ksh 5,000.
2. A Public Performance License. All movie shop operators will need to get a Public Performance License from the Music Copyright Society of Kenya, which will cost an average of Ksh 4,000 per year. The license covers the selling of series, movies, and playing of music.
3. A Film/Video Regulatory License. A film/video regulatory license is issued by the Kenya Film and Classification Board (KFCB) and will cost between Ksh 3,000 to Ksh 10,000 per year.
Basic Equipment Needed to Start a Movie Shop. You will need various equipment to run a successful movie shop, including a fast computer and a fast internet connection. This will enable you to download and copy movies faster. Additionally, you will also need a duplicator to help you copy multiple disks at the same time.
You will also need blank DVDs where you can copy movies. A rim of 50 discs can cost between Ksh 400 and Ksh 500. Other equipment includes a LED T.V, woofers, furniture (a table, chairs, or benches), movie posters, and envelopes for packing movies.
How to Get Movies Once you are ready to start your business, you need to figure out where you will get the movies. There are two options;
1. Buy movies from online distributors. There are online movie distributors for whom you will have to pay through PayPal or Skrill to get movies. One movie will cost between Ksh 800- Ksh 1500. Upon payment, the distributor gives you a link that you will use to download the movie.
2. Buy from friends and make duplicates. It is the easiest and cheapest way to get movies. When someone else buys the movie, you buy it from them at Ksh 50 and make duplicates. This method will help you create and sell as many copies as you want.
Cost of Starting a Movie Shop Business in Kenya One of the most important questions to ask yourself when starting a movie shop in Kenya is how much you need to get started. The costs include equipment costs, rental costs, costs to obtain licenses, and maintenance costs.
You will need between Ksh 50,000 and Ksh 100,000 start-up capital. Rental costs - Ksh 25, 000. Computer Desktop - Ksh 20 000. MSK License - Ksh 4000. Business Permit - Ksh 7000. KFCB License - Ksh 5000. External hard disk - Ksh 10,000. CD burning software - Ksh 5,000. Miscellaneous - Ksh 5,000. Other equipment and items you need to start a movie shop include a woofer, felt pens, movie posters, and envelopes for packaging CDs.
Is a Movie Shop Business Profitable? Yes. With a suitable business location with high on foot traffic and near residential areas and institutions, you can earn between Ksh 2,000 to Ksh 3,000 in a day. A movie shop business can earn you a profit of about Ksh 30,000 in a month.
Conclusion Movie shops are highly profitable, but you will still need to go the extra mile to keep your customers. You need to promote your business and let people know that you are selling movies. Essential things to consider include excellent customer services, a excellent marketing strategies, and good managerial skills.
Content created and supplied by: Bobs (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More