Sign in
Download Opera News App

Business Industrial




Profitable Maize farming: How to Make 45 bags per acre

Guide for a successful maize farmer

Maize is the stable diet of Kenya. The farmers pay 25000 acres to cultivate and get decent returns around Shillings. It's expensive.

This is a step-by-step maize farming tutorial.

Step 1: Choosing the field

Choose an area that supports the type of maize that you planted. Identify pre-planting height, soil condition, environment. Maize is a sub-tropical plant and its growth altitude is essential to its maturity capacity.

Photo: Courtesy

Also really important is well-drained soil.

Step 2: Preparation of seedbeds

The objective is a deep and loose ground. Maize is plant-free to use, so root growth in the early stages should not be limited.

Photo: Courtesy

Crops strive for maturation and excellent production with compacted soil.

Step 3: Drill and seed

Maize seed should be uniformly drilled in the middle and humidity. Maize involves slow boiling and one seed per 10-12cm is shipped.

Step 4: Choose a species

Select a range of seeds suitable for altitude and condition of the soil. This allows you to obtain high returns.

Photo: Courtesy

Step 5: Weed Management

Both fields should be drilled to provide a pre-emergent weed control herbicide after they are drilled. This also means that herbicides since emergence have little work to do. Do not postpone marijuana control. Do not delay weed control. If the 2-leaf stage is over, they start competitive corn. In the early stages of growth Maize is very badly affected by grass, so this needs to be prevented.

Photo: Courtesy

Step 6: Food for Crops

Nitrogen is the driver because often crops are not enough so the soil may have over-estimates.

Ideally, 75 percent DAP should be used on the seedbed and a top dressing should be added in the 1-3 leaf stadium, with the remainder of 25 percent. This helps to bring the crop through its yellow stage, mostly seen in early developing countries.

Photo: Courtesy

Step number 7: Pests and diseases

Infections are not a major concern in Kenya. The biggest disease is leaf rust and it needs spraying every 2 to 3 weeks before the disease goes out.

Photo: Courtesy

Drop your comment below

Content created and supplied by: TellKenyans (via Opera News )

Kenya Maize


Load app to read more comments