English is among the world's most spoken languages. Although it is seen to be easy by most people, it can sometimes be challenging. This is because there are different varieties of the English language and they all have different phrases that have different meanings.
Below are some common phrases and words we use regularly but we have been using them wrongly. See how they are correctly said.
1. We are used to saying "I am the last born in my family." This is incorrect and the right phrase to use is, "I am the last child in the family."
2. "Workers are wanted" is an awful phrase to use in English. Only people who have committed a crime are referred to as wanted. Workers are "needed" but not wanted.
3. "I am looking for a job" is a common phrase we use. Instead of using this phrase say "I am seeking for employment." This sounds respectful and grammatically correct.
4. "He did it by purpose." This is wrong. The correct way to say this is "he did it on purpose."
5. When shaving, say you want to have an "haircut." Avoid words like I want to "barb." This is not recognised in the English dialect.
I hope yo enjoyed reading the article. Like, share and follow the page for more articles daily.
Content created and supplied by: PolyNewsKenya (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More